Initiating is one of the 5 project management process groups.
It consists of processes for
- Defining a complete new project.
- Defining a new phase of an existing project.
PMI Definition: “Initiating Process group consists of those processes performed to define a new project or a new phase of an existing project by obtaining authorization to start the project or phase. “
The 2 Processes in Initiating Process Group are
- Develop Project Charter
- Identify Stakeholders
Important Documents developed in Intiating Process Group
- Project Charter
- Assumption Log
- Stakeholder Register
Significance of Initiating Process Group
- High level Scope defined.
- Initial financial resources are committed.
- Project will be officially authorized, when the Project Charter is approved.
- Both Internal and External stakeholders of the project are identified.
- If not already assigned, Project Manager will be selected and assigned.